How to Report Abuse or Neglect

Reporting Child Abuse, Neglect & Maltreatment

Anybody can make a report of suspected child abuse or neglect if that person has reason to believe that a child has been maltreated. You can choose to make an anonymous report. Others are mandated to report by statute. The identity of the reporter is always kept confidential. The requirements for reporting are outlined in the Reporting of Maltreatment of Minors Act.

Mandatory Reporting

A mandated reporter must call immediately, but no later than 24 hours, after they suspect that maltreatment may have occurred. The mandated reporter must follow up with a written report within 72 hours. A report can be made to your local county social service agency or to law enforcement.

Child Protection Report Form

Child Protection Report Form

Reporting Abuse: Immediate Danger

If you know or suspect that a child is in immediate danger, such as recent sexual assault or serious physical assault, or the child is abandoned contact your local law enforcement agency 9-1-1 right away. Law enforcement officers can remove a child from a threatening environment to protect the child.

No Immediate Danger

In some situations, a maltreatment of a child may be suspected but the child is not in immediate danger. If the alleged perpetrator is a parent, guardian, family childcare provider, or family foster care provider, a report to Blue Earth County Human Services can be made as follows:
  • Monday through Friday
  • 8:00 am to 5:00 pm
  • By phone at (507) 304-4444
  • Fax a report to (507) 304-4305
After hours Monday through Friday and weekends, you may call (507) 304-4319. Your call will be taken by an answering service, and a message given to a social worker who will contact you. 

Maltreatment by Program or Facility Staff

Sometimes there may be concerns for a child that is being served by another program. If the alleged maltreatment was committed by a staff person at one of the following institutions or programs, the report can contact the Minnesota Department of Human Services, Division of Licensing at (651) 297-4123.
  • Childcare center
  • Residential treatment center (children's mental health)
  • Group home for children
  • Minor parent program
  • Shelter for children
  • Chemical dependency treatment program for adolescents
  • Waivered services program for children
  • Crisis respite service program for children
  • Residential service program for children with developmental disabilities
If the alleged maltreatment occurred in a home health care setting, hospital, regional treatment center, nursing home, or intermediate care facility for the mentally retarded, contact the Minnesota Department of Health, Office of Health Complaints Department at (651) 215-8702 or (800) 369-7994.

If the alleged perpetrator is employed by a public preschool, elementary school, middle school, secondary school, or charter school and the child is a student in the school, contact the Minnesota Department of Children, Families, and Learning at (651) 582-8546 or by fax at (651) 634-2277.