Blue Earth County Media Relations Policy
The business of Blue Earth County government conducted by the County Board of Commissioners is a matter of public interest and public record. Blue Earth County provides full access to the news media for all regular and special County Board meetings and committee meetings. The media is not permitted access only when the Board meets in executive (closed) sessions to discuss matters which are private, in full compliance with Minnesota Open Meeting Laws.
The guidelines outlined below reflect Blue Earth County's public information goals of effectiveness, accuracy, timeliness, and professionalism; moreover, the objectives of the following represent the County's commitment to fairness, consistency, responsibility, and coordination.
Guidelines for Media
- Journalists may obtain information pertaining to Board meetings from the public agenda packet provided. Agenda packets may be requested preceding the Board meeting by contacting the County Administrator's Office at (507) 304-4284. Additional handouts may be obtained from the County Administrator during the meeting or immediately following the meeting.
- Media representatives shall be referred to the County Administrator or the appropriate County Department Head when they call or arrive at a County facility, unless other arrangements have been previously agreed upon.
- Media representatives will not enter any personal or private office space without the knowledge and permission of the particular occupant.
- If the broadcast media intend to videotape or record a County Board meeting, the Communications Manager will assist in making the necessary arrangements.
- If additional assistance is needed by media representatives, the County Administrator will determine the need and, as appropriate, provide the requested assistance in a timely manner.
- If the broadcast media intend to videotape or record an interview with a County official or staff member within any County facility, the County Administrator or his/her designee may request to be present during the taping.