Types of Child Care

Licensed Child Care

Most licensed child care providers are in a home setting. A background check is completed on every person aged 13 and older living and/or working in the home. FBI, BCA and social service records are reviewed as part of the background check process. 

Child care providers need to follow state regulations for licensure. These rules and statues limit the number and ages of children allowed in care; set safety, sanitation and nutritional standars; regulate the child care providers qualifications and training; and require specific paperwork to be on file for each child in care. For more information about state regulations, visit the Minnesota Department of Human Service (DHS) site

As a parent, you have access to public information regarding your child care provider. To find provider information, contact Blue Earth County at (507) 304-4273 or to the Minnesota DHS Licensing Lookup

Unlicensed Child Care

In Minnesota, a person may provide unlicensed care if they care for relatives (parent, grandparent, brother, sister, stepparent, stepsister, stepbrother, uncle, aunt, child, niece, and nephew) and one unrelated family. This includes the caregiver's own children. A person cannot do unlicensed care if they have applied for child care and they were denied a license, had their license revoked, or their license is currently suspended. You can check by calling Blue Earth County at (507) 304-4273. 

There are no regulations for legal, unlicensed providers unless they are receiving child care assistance. See child case assistance for more information. 

Child Care Centers

Child care centers care for children in larger groups. They have multiple caregivers and are inspected by the state. Instead of a home environment, child care centers are more like classrooms. 

Child care centers are licensed through Minnesota DHS. You may contact them by phone at (651) 296-3971 or their website