Motor Vehicle Registrations & Transfers
All applicants must arrive before 4:00 p.m. to have a title processed.
Register Your Vehicle without your Notice
Fill out the Registration Form and include it with the rest of your documents in the dropbox outside the main License Center doors or mail it to our office.
Motor Vehicle Registration from Out-of-State
- When someone moves to Minnesota, they must submit foreign state title or current registration if the title is unavailable.
- Applicants must provide current odometer reading and driver's license or state-issued identification card.
- If there is a lien against the vehicle, the owner must provide the name and complete address of the lender, as well as the date of the loan.
- Owner's signature is required on the Minnesota title application.
Transfer Vehicle Ownership
Note: This is not all-inclusive as to the purchase or transfer of vehicles.
- Title from state of last license is used to transfer (MN's title is 7"x11" green & white). If the title cannot be located, the seller must apply for a duplicate.
- The mileage as it appears on the odometer must be written on the title.
- Title will show all current owners' names. All those whose names appears as owners must sign as sellers.
- If a lien holder is listed (bank, credit union, or individual from whom money was borrowed), the lien holder must sign title or lien card releasing their interest in the vehicle.
- Transfer of ownership from the seller to the buyer is NOT finished until the completed title is turned in and the excise tax and related fees are paid.
- For unique situations or questions on vehicle transfers, please visit or contact us at (507) 304-4340.
- Print full name(s), address, date(s) of birth, driver's license number(s) and sign.
- If no lien, check "None." If money was borrowed to purchase, the complete name and address of the lien holder(s) and the date of the lien must be printed on the title.
- Vehicle transfers from dealership to private individual(s) are usually handled by the dealership. However, out-of-state purchases of new vehicles require the Manufactured Statement of Origin (MSO) signed by the dealer with the individual(s) name(s) listed as purchaser(s).
- All transfers and new vehicles must be transferred within 10 days of purchase.